Alaska is in my DNA. My family was part of the push for statehood and worked building our great state. In 1976 I voted for the creation of the Permanent Fund. In 1981 I wrote a paper in college that recommended the best way to use Permanent Fund earnings was to “share the revenues from common owned resources with the people.”
Over the years I’ve worked to improve our roads, create hunting and fishing opportunities, build both public and charter schools, expand outdoor recreation experiences, and above all, to watch out for the interests of my fellow Alaskans. I always put your interests over partisan and special interests.
I lean libertarian. I don’t like over-regulation. I favor a level playing field for businesses and taxpayers, and I will fight against anti-competitive sweetheart deals pushed by lobbyists – like special interest property tax breaks at the expense of homeowners. I’ve worked to pass common sense legislation like a property tax cap, permanent vehicle licensing and making government live within its means – just like you and I have to.
Experience & Accomplishments:
- Alaska State House Representative, 2015-2016
- Member House Republican Majority
- Co-Chair Energy Committee
- HB 153,Palmer Hay-flats Game Refuge expansion – in 2015 sponsored andpassed into law, expanding by 3,200 acres, adding donated lands to the multi-use Refuge
- Voted Against SB91,supported amendments to tighten up, including restoring jail time for Class C felonies, 2016
- HB 156,Parental Rights, Planned Parenthood out of Schools, supported in committee and was one of deciding floor votes
- Repeal of flawed AMP standarized test,sponsored HB 232,in 2016 that effectively pressured DEED to drop the flawed test, January 2016
- Highway Projects: Emergency Erosion Repairs Glenn Hwy Sutton 2015, Tonsina Hill reconstruct 2017, Long Lake hill reroute in design, Richardson Hwy repaving Thompson Pass
- Delta, Tanana River Boat Launch- Upgrade buit in 2017
- Co-Sponsored HB 216,asserting Alaska’s sovereign rights on navigable rivers
- Supported resourcedevelopment and private sector business development
- Cut operating budget,for example on the University Budget Subcomitte cut $25m
- Assemblymember, Matanuska-Susitna Borough:2000-2006, 2009-2015, Deputy Mayor 2003-2006
- Tax Cap legislation, sponsored law currently in place which caps Borough revenue
- $60m road bond package, 50% local/50% state funding, built Seldon Extension, Seldon and Lucille roundabout, Vine Rd. Upgrade, Trunk Rd. South, and many other roads, 2012
- Permanent Vehicle Registration, 2014 sponsored law currently in place to exercise local option
- Development, authored subdivision reform law, Valley homebuilding now thriving
- Financed first publically owned and built Charter Schoolin Alaska, Fronteras Spanish Immersion Charter School, Wasilla, secured land and USDA financing, 2012-14
- Government Peak Rec. Area, Hatcher Pass, secured federal and local funds, built trails, road, and chalet, 2012
- Vice-Chairman of Fish and Wildlife Commission, Mat-Su Borough
- Chairman School Site Selection Committee,Mat-Su Borough
- School Board Member, Matanuska-Susitna Borough 2006-2009,School Board President 2008-09
Areas of Expertise:
- High level of knowledge of state budgeting, the legislative process, the strengths and weaknesses of state departments, as well as local and school district budgeting.
- Years of experience in public policy, writing ordinances, laws, and amendments.
- Expertise on Parks, Glenn and Richardson Highway projects and needed upgrades.
- Experience in mitigating impact of state laws and policies on local taxpayers.
- Charter School and Homeschool advocate.
- Expert knowledge of Fish and Game- an advocate for putting conservation of the resource first and improving opportunities for Alaskans to put wild fish and game on the dinner table
- Experienced negotiator of business and political solutions .
- Results-oriented, able to plan efficiently to solve issues or build projects.
- Adept at drafting legislation, amendments, legal documents, and contracts.
- Quick learner. I consider myself a lifelong learner, and am always interested in a new challenge, in mastering a new skill, and improving myself both professionally and personally.
- Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 367, Palmer 2016- Present
- Colver Surveying, Business Owner, Principal Land Surveyor 1996- Present
- Alaska Legislature, Representative House District 9 2015-16
- Project Superintendant, Steppers Construction Inc. 1997
- President, Mountain Construction, Maintenance, Civil Construction 1986-96
Registered Professional Land Surveyor, LS 7727 1989
I enjoy downhill and cross-country skiing, hunting, fishing, and spending time with my family and church family. I have coached youth hockey and I am currently an assistant scoutmaster for the Boy Scout Troop 367.
- Recipient of the 2015 Tourism Award, Mat-Su Convention and Visitors Bureau, for development of the Government Peak Recreation Area.
- Best Freshman Legislator 2016, Alaska Legislative Digest